Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Pupils with Additional Needs – SEN Report

…. in support of The Children and Families Bill 2014

Click on the headings to find out more.

What is our ethos towards Additional Needs?

Here, at Crossley Fields, we have a whole-school approach towards Additional Needs (AN) policy and practice. Pupils identified as having AN are, as far as practicably possible, fully integrated into mainstream classes. Every effort is made to ensure they have full and equal access to the National Curriculum and that they are integrated into all aspects of school life including trips, residentials and after school activities/ clubs etc. The SEN Code of Practice makes it very clear that ALL teachers are teachers of pupils with additional needs.

Please be reassured that all teachers take responsibility for identifying pupils with AN. They will then work in collaboration with the pupil themselves, their parents and the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) to ensure that any pupil requiring different or additional support are identified and provided for as early as possible. Assessment is the process by which pupils with AN can be identified; whether or not a pupil is making appropriate progress is seen as a significant factor in considering the need for AN provision.

Who should you talk to if you think your child needs some extra help?

In the first instance, you should arrange a meeting with your child’s class teacher to discuss your concerns. If necessary, they will in turn arrange a meeting with the SENCo, you could also contact the SENCo directly. You could also speak to the Headteacher or the Governor responsible for AN.

How will we identify a child who has additional needs?

Early identification of pupils with AN is a priority. On entry to school each child’s aptitudes and abilities will be assessed, and as the children continue through school, the school will use appropriate screening and assessment tools to ascertain pupil progress. Assessment data considered will include:

  • information from parents
  • records from pre-school/ nurseries or previous schools
  • evidence obtained via teacher observation/ assessment
  • child’s performance in National Curriculum subjects
  • standardised screening or assessment tools providing reading, spelling and mathematical ability ages
  • reports from external agencies, such as Educational Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Portage, Speech and Language Therapy.

How will we support a child with additional needs?

School will work together with pupils and their parents using the assessment information from class teachers to design appropriate differentiated programmes for pupils identified with AN including:

  • providing personalised starting points for an appropriate curriculum
  • identifying a need for support within the class
  • assessing the level of learning difficulties in which particular area
  • ensuring on-going observations/ assessments provide regular feedback on achievements which will then inform the next steps in learning
  • involvement of parents and the child throughout to create a joint home-school learning approach.

It is important to stress that the pupil and their parents will be at the centre of this procedure, with both parties being fully involved and informed at each and every step.

What provision is available at Crossley Fields to support a child with additional needs?

Procedure: The Graduated Approach to Educational Provision for Children with Additional Needs

A graduated approach to meeting the needs of pupils is taken in school. Pupils and their parents are at the centre of this with the pupils and parents fully involved at each and every stage. There will be a focus on pupil well-being as well as academic achievement.

The first stage of this is appropriately differentiated work as part of quality first teaching.

  • Step 1 SEN Support – Where support additional to that of normal class provision is required in order for your child to ‘catch up’ with his peers, your child will be given SEN Support. This will usually involve your child working on an accelerated learning programme for a set period of time and may also include some additional 1-1 support led by the teacher or ETA. If, after monitoring, it is felt that advice from specialist professionals (Educational Psychology, Speech and Language, etc.) is needed, this will be discussed with you and any interventions or support programmes planned for your child will be informed by the advice from the specialist professionals.
  • Step 2 – Education, Health and Care Plans– Where concerns remain, despite sustained intervention, the school will consider requesting an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The EHCP will set out in detail your child’s strengths as well as areas of need and detail the provision for your child in the areas of education, health and social care.

At every stage of the above graduated approach, the school will ensure delivery of the provision detailed therein and hold regular reviews with parents and pupils about the appropriateness of the current provision.

When will you have the opportunity to discuss your child's progress?

The progress of children at every stage of the above graduated approach will be tracked using Provision Mapping using the assessment data and observations as noted in section 4. Those children receiving SEN support or holding an EHCP will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which will be reviewed with full involvement of the child and the parents every term.

This is an addition to the twice yearly Parents Evenings which we provide to discuss your child’s progress.

What specialist services/expertise are available for pupils with additional needs?

Although we don’t have specialist teachers on the premises, our pupils do have access to a designated Speech and Language Therapist and Educational Psychologist. In addition to this we are currently working with colleagues in the professions of occupational therapy, hearing impairment, behaviour support, counselling services at CAMHS and Northorpe Hall as well as working with colleagues from Specialist Provision.

If you require any further clarification on any of these points, or, have any further questions do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher or the SENCo.

Information on the Kirklees Local Offer for pupils with Additional Needs can be found on  

Colleagues from the Local Authority can be contacted on: